Waiau Pass: St Arnaud (km1939) – Boyle Village (km2054)
115km, 5-8 days
Waiau Pass at 1870m is the second higest point of Te Araroa.
Enquire about weather conditions at DOC Nelson Lake center in St Arnaud.
- St Arnaud to Lakehead Hut – 2 to 3 hours (9 km)
- Lakehead Hut to John Tait Hut 5 hours (12 km)
- John Tait Hut to Upper Travers Hut 3 hours (6 km)
- Upper Travers Hut to West Sabine Hut 6 -8 hours (8 km)
- West Sabine Hut to Blue Lake Hut 3 hours
- Blue Lake Hut to Upper Waiau Forks 6 to 8 hours (7 km)
the most demanding on this track. It is a fair weather route, suitable for experienced
individuals or parties with experienced leadership. Good fitness and reasonable agility is a prerequisite for all. These criteria
aside, Waiau Pass is a Te Araroa highlight. Allow a full day for the journey.
- Upper Waiau Forks to Caroline Bivvy 3 hours (5 km)
- Caroline Bivvy to Anne River Hut 7 to 9 hours (25 km)
- Anne River Hut to Boyle Flat Hut – 6 hours (15 km)
- Boyle Flat Hut to Boyle Village – 4 hours (14.5 km)
Once in Boyle village, hitch to Hanmer Spring (40km) for good resupply and awsome hot springs.
Most guide books mention that it takes about 8 -12 hours to tramp from Blue Lake Hut to Caroline Bivy. Yeah Right !!!. For us mere mortals I would allow at least 12 -15 hours